Hey guys I'm back again! Writing slogs for CSC165 was a real pain, but once again, because of the Heap meister, I need to write another one for CSC148! To those who are reading (Hopefully not the TA's), here's a link to my previous SLOG for 165, read at your discretion. :)
CSC165: The Struggle is Real - http://csc165f1.blogspot.ca/
Although I do like this SLOG format better. On the course page at least we get some more guidance on what to write for each slog post rather than writing based off a wide range of possible topics. This week's topic is about why geeks/computer scientists like us need to learn how to write!
One important reason is for comments and variable/function names within a program. Although this may not require high levels literacy and writing abilities, you'd be surprised the amount of times mistakes were made because of them. For example, 'Divides by 3' vs. 'Divided by 3'. However that's just the basics. Good communication/writing skills is an absolutely critical for computer scientists, we must be able communicate effectively to explain our thinking. We weren't raised to speak Python, Java, or other complex programming languages. Our human languages, is what allows us to communicate with each other most effectively. Imagine analyzing a 100 line algorithm without comments! That could take hours, where as the algorithm could be simply summarized within a small paragraph!
However, my favorite reason, is to be able to write glorious course notes for courses like this. Through writing and computer science skills was the great, glorious, grand-master, divine, Professor Heap able to attain his position as the professor of this course and enlighten us with his knowledge and profound intellect (Please give me bonus marks for this).
Alright so, I guess that's all I have to say for now, I'll let you guys know of my impressions of this course for next week so be prepared! It could be brutal.
No comments:
Post a Comment